Sunday, April 15, 2007

nostalgia...

I watched a film last night that gave me a sentimental yearning for my days as a missionary in Argentina. The film (recommended by my brother Aaron), is an inspiring, and heartwarming depiction of the young Ernesto "Che" Guevara, and his travels (with friend Alberto), across Latin America. The movie is filled with breathtaking scenery, geographical diversity, and stunning beauty; and, as promised by my brother, it took me instantly back to the mission, and filled my heart with a renewed love for the South American people. Even the dialect of Spanish used in the film was the beautiful sing/speak castellano used in Buenos Aires and Uruguay (where Aaron served). Upon hearing the language, and it's intonation, I had a wistful desire to return to the beautiful place that is Argentina, and to be reunited with la gente...
One day, I will make it back (with John), and what a glorious day that will be, filled with laughter, tears, embraces, kisses, joy, rejoicing...

I remained awake for several hours after viewing the film, reminiscing, reflecting, longing.
This morning I broke out my albums, journals, mementos, anything that might take me back, (without actually going back), and appease my nostalgic pangs...

Thought I'd share a few of my treasures...


This is in my first Area, Burzaco. We're walking home from the baptisms of Matias and Silvina, (my first baptisms...they are the two on the far right).



This is my second area, Mar de Ajo. We lived only 7 blocks from the ocean, and would sometimes go running on the beach in the mornings, or (if we could get up early enough), watch the sun rise, and do our morning studies , on the beach. (This photo was taken on my 23rd birthday, with my sweet Chiquita...she followed us everywhere for seven months!)



This is in the home of some of our greatest investigators, La Familia Pereira. Every night when we came over for a discussion, there were more and more people there to listen to us. Maria Elena, Daiana, Daniel, Veronica, and Javier, were all baptised.



My sweet Barboza family. This picture was taken when they began the discussions.



This photo was taken almost five months later...on their baptism day. Juan, the father, was actually baptised two weeks earlier, received the Aaronic Priesthood, and then baptised his wife Sandra (8 months pregnant), his daughter Sol, and son Yael. (A year later, Sandra and Juan took their 4 kids to the Buenos Aires temple, to be sealed. To this day, they remain true to the faith.)



Dafne, myself, and Sol...that's their home in the background.



This was taken the night I was transferred from my beloved Mar de Ajo. My bus left at midnight, and look at all the people that came to see me off...my Argentinian Family.



I'm reunited (for a short time) with the Pereira's. This is at the end of my mission, when my dad and Aaron came to pick me up.



The breathtaking Iguazu Falls, with my brother Aaron...



Another shot of the Iguazu falls, with Aaron and Dad. This is when we were in Brazil, looking at the falls in Argentina.
I remember meeting a girl there who had traveled all over the world with her mother. She told us that South America is "the best kept secret"...well, after seeing these falls (and the scenery from the film)...I couldn't agree with her more!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your comments and pictures are so inspiring. I wish I had served a mission when I was younger. Those experiences are priceless. You will draw on those memories the rest of your life.

Amy Eagleston said...

What is the name of the film that inspired such nostalgia? Your experiences took me back to my own mission and I am going to go dig out my pictures this afternoon. I can honestly say that everything that is good in my life I can trace back to my decision to go on a mission. Thanks for sharing.

nicole said...

It's called The Motorcycle Diaries. However, it is rated R for translated language.

Brooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Your reflections took me back to a very difficult, but a very good time. I am so proud of you, to this day (and will always be), for your service as a missionary.

Love, Dad

Brooke said...

I don't know what happened to my comment, I deleted it by mistake! SORRY.......silly me. See ya tonight!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked the Motorcycle Diaries so much. The movie had such a special feel to it, and managed to capture the essence of South American culture to a T. You had such an awesome mission, and brought so much good into the lives of many people. Dad and i were able to witness it first hand. Remember Dad's Matte induced vertigo?!---Hilarious.