I know I'm repeating myself by asking this, but have you ever met, or come across an individual who left an impression on your soul like no one else had before? And perhaps, you even thought to yourself, this person is just too good... too good for this iniquitous world? I call them Earthly Angels; and sadly, they're hard to come by. When I met John for the first time, I really felt that way about him. He came in to Nordstrom, looking for a job. I was at the counter in Women's Shoes when he entered the department. The first thing that struck me, was his huge smile, and his sparkling eyes. After his interview, he returned to the counter and preceded to talk with me. I got the impression that his words were genuine, and that when I spoke, he really listened. That was my first encounter with him (little did I know at the time, that he would come to be my spouse), and even after five years of knowing him, I am proud to say that he has not changed. It wasn't just a facade, an act to win me over, that was John, just being John. A true, charismatic, genuine, kind, caring, happy, sincere...individual. And he's mine! And I'm madly in love with him...I was when I first met him (although I didn't come right out and say so), and I am even more so now! Wow! I don't know what else to say, other than that I feel like the luckiest woman alive to have, and to know John.
Today is his 28th Birthday, so, in keeping with tradition...28 reasons I love John...
- He's a twin. I think that being a twin, and having another person to look out for and to think about, helps one not to be so self absorbed. John is the most selfless person I know.
- He has the most perfect smile, and is constantly showing it off. His smile was the first thing I noticed about him...it's contagious.
- He's a great cook, and loves to mix different spices and herbs...which always results in the most delicious meals.
- He's pure. He refuses to be involved in, take part of, or participate in, anything that is not edifying and uplifting. He honors the 13th article of faith, which states, if there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report, or praiseworthy, (John) seeks after these things...
- He's honest, and has integrity.
- He cares about the feelings of others. The other night, he declined an invitation from his dad and brothers to go the the movies. Later, when I asked him why he didn't go, he replied, "I didn't want to leave you here at home, alone and bored."
- He's very handsome. Ever since my childhood, I dreamed of marrying a "tall, dark, and handsome" man...and that's just what I got.
- He's very righteous, and spiritual, and has such a pure testimony. I love listening to him express his feelings about the Savior.
- He's loyal. He does what he says he'll do. You can always count on John to be a man of his word.
- He's confident. He's never been afraid to talk to people, he'll approach anyone about anything. When he and Scott were in college, I couldn't believe how many extensions they got on different assignments, or papers. I finally asked him if they were bribing their teachers...he said "no, we just ask them if we can get some leeway, and generally, they give it to us." (Okay, I don't think I would have ever had the courage to even ask.)
- He has a soft and tender heart. We've cried together on many occasions.
- He has the quirkiest sense of humor.
- He's very complimentable. He tells me I look pretty on a daily basis. (Even when I'm sweaty and greasy from the gym, or sick, or when I've been lying in a hospital bed for 13 days, or when I'm 15 pounds over weight...)
- He's smart. Although he doesn't love to read, he loves to learn, and is constantly expanding his wealth of knowledge.
- He's very business savvy, and has an entrepreneurial mind. One day, he would love to own a ton of different companies, and is constantly coming up with new business ideas.
- He's athletic, and particularly loves baseball.
- He's a great work out partner. (When I met him, he had an eight-pack!...no I'm not kidding!) We're both working on getting our "pre-marriage" bods back.
- Though he's not at all feminine, he doesn't mind getting in and scrubbing the toilets, doing the laundry, grocery shopping, making meals, or rocking the baby to sleep (the typical "wife" or "mom" chores). He enjoys relieving me of my duties, and alleviating my load, from time to time.
- He speaks ill of no one. In fact, if ever I feel the need to "vent" to John about somebody, he listens, but never responds negatively. He only looks for the positive in people, and always gives them the benefit of the doubt if their actions or behavior fall short of his expectations.
- This kind of goes along with the 8 pack thing, (but in my mind deserves it's own entry)... John (babe, I'm sorry if this embarrasses you) has the most rock hard buns I've ever felt! It seriously feels like he's flexing his glutes 24/7.
- He hasn't a jealous bone in his body. He genuinely wants good things for people, and shares in other's joy and success.
- He loves life. He focuses on the good. He smiles and laughs all the time. He's funny. He loves to play tricks on people...and (every once in a while) scare them, too. He's optimistic, and happy, and never wears his heart on his sleeve.
- He has a very mild temper. He never yells, or even raises his voice. He remains calm and collected while dealing with his frustrations.
- He doesn't complain. Ever. When life doesn't go as planned, he just simply "rolls with the punches", springs back, reevaluates his expectations, and moves on...all the while happy and contented.
- I love hearing him play his guitar. Once, he tried to teach me how to play the theme song from Sesame Street.
- He is the best, sweetest Dad ever. He and Ruby have something very special, and my heart melts every time I'm privileged to witness one of their tender "Daddy-Daughter" moments.
(need I say more...?)
27. He carries himself well, and has excellent posture. He is also well mannered, considerate, respectful, and practices good etiquette.
28. He is constantly serving me. He demonstrates his love for me even in small ways. For instance, every morning and every night, he puts the toothpaste on my toothbrush for me, and then sets it by my sink. (It's now become somewhat of a joke between us, nonetheless, he still does it, without fail, morning and night...) In essence, I've never doubted John's love for me...it's evident by the way he treats me, and by the way he lives his life.
(You see what I mean, doesn't this guy seem to have already passed his mortal test? )
For one of his gifts, I made John a book. First, I'll give some background. Shortly after my mom passed away, some friends in the ward brought over a book that they had put together for our family. I guess you could call it a memory book. It contained stories, memories, lessons learned, impressions, pictures...of my mom, from several ward members and friends. Although the book served as a great comfort to us, and was enjoyable to read about the impression my mom left on so many lives, I still couldn't help but feel bad that she hadn't been there to read all the kind words. I decided that everybody needs to know (in this life) that they are loved and appreciated. It feels great to hear about the impact we have had on other's lives. Of the example we have set. Of the memories we have created for others...
Anyway, that was my hope for John on his 28th Birthday, that he would know how loved he is. That he would know that the world is a better place, because he's in it...
(I hope you realize that John...)
I love you.
Thank you everybody, for your contribution in making John's Birthday a memorable one. (I received 63 responses!)