Wednesday, February 14, 2007

it's valentine's day...


Why don't they make them like this anymore?...these are so sweet!





As a child, Valentine's Day was one of my favorites. I loved picking out my Valentine's cards and carefully selecting which one would go to whom. I loved creating my Valentine's box, reading (and eating) those cute little conservation hearts, class parties, decorating sugar cookies, and making sure I was dressed in red...
Mostly I loved how Mom and Dad would always leave gifts on the front porch...and then ring the doorbell and run. Valentine's Day as a kid was the best. As I've gotten older, however, I've realized that it's rarely what it's cracked up to be...just super overrated and kind of silly. Why should one wait for a dumb/made-up holiday to demonstrate their love for the special people in their life? I even convinced John (a few years ago) that he didn't need to take me out anymore on Valentine's Day... only to avoid the hordes of people and the ridiculously long lines. Despite my ranting, John has been a complete sweetheart. He surprised me last night by taking me to Outback (one of my favorites), and this morning he cheered me with some beautiful flowers and TiVo (I did not see that one coming)! Needless to say, I felt pretty ridiculous handing him a sorry bag of chocolates...

No comments: