Friday, January 19, 2007

my buenos aires






You know how smells take you back to a specific time or place? Well, I experienced one such smell today. It’s kind of rainy and gloomy out and I thought about just spending the entire day here at home where it’s cozy and warm…but, the gym was beckoning and I knew that if I didn’t go, I'd beat myself up over that decision later. So after I loaded Ruby in the car and raised the garage door, I was overpowered by this familiar “after rain” smell that was prevalent in Argentina. My thoughts drifted back to my days in Buenos Aires serving as a missionary. I thought about my friends there, the members, the converts, the people we taught that never joined. I thought about the colder than cold winters and the blistering summers. I thought about the magical rain storms, the breathtaking sunsets, the “to die for food”, the cobblestone streets, the roads of sand, the mansions, the tin homes, the trains, the buses. I thought about pesos and alfajores. But mostly I thought about the people and how much I love them. I thank my Heavenly Father for this rainy, gloomy day and for the experience of being able to indulge in reminiscence for a brief moment.

No comments: